Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Quiet Night

The crash echoing up the stairs startled me from my intense focus on the book on my lap. I listened but didn't hear anything more. Remembering that my 14-year-old brother Brian had kitchen clean-up duties tonight, I decided that he must have left something precariously balanced on the drain board and gravity had taken its toll.

I turned back to the American history textbook I was studying. With a major test on the period following the War Between the States looming, I needed all the study time I could get. The rest of the family had headed out to watch brother Bobby play basketball, but I had begged off. I could accomplish a lot of reviewing in the quiet house. Three younger siblings kept the place so filled with racket that I could hardly think most of the time.

Read more of this thriller here.

No comments:

Post a Comment